Yesterday’s blog has been rebuilt in its entirety by Dave, with a little help from Gearoid Veale via email. Let’s all blame Shane.
Maynooth SU have been occupying TD anthony Lawlor’s Constituency Office since 3 p.m. There are reportedly nine members of the Union including all the of the Exec.
Group currently Occupying Anthony Lawlor’s Constituency Office
Dave Ryan is on the scene and providing reports. Shane Mc Nally and Thobias Inkblot are manning the tweet machine. Hit refresh to stay up to date.
Tweets of note so far;
MSU currently occupying Anthony Lawlor TDs constituency office in Naas. #stopfees #stoptáillí (from @Naoiseoc) VP for Clubs, Societies and union development, currently occupying.
@thobiasinkblot still no sign of Gardaí, we’ve covered up the front windows with our #savethegrant banner and have control of the building. (from @RuaidhriBoland) one of the members of the SU currently occupying the office.
Maynooth Students’ Union occupying a FG TD’s office. I’m taking credit for radicalising that union. Idgaf if it’s true or not. #stopfees (Aidan Rowe FEE member and activist)
We’re not leaving until either Lawlor agrees to live up to his promise of stopping fees and saving the grant or were removed.#stopfees (@RuaidhriBoland)
#stopfees Occupiers are Rob Munnelly, Naoise Ó Cearúil, Keith Broni, Ruairdhi Boland, Dave Flanagan, Oisin Nolan, Steven Fleming. (naoiseoc)
Anthony Lawlor’s Office gets a makeover
- Reading the
@hotpress interview with @Rubberbandits. #OccupyNaas #StopFees (@keithbroni)
- Still going strong.
#stopfees #occupynaas #msuoccupation (@RuadrhiBoland)
- “Maynooth SU, FEE and the like upping the ante with these occupations in recent days. Keep Calm and Carry On.” – The Internet’s Donal Fallon
#occupynaas #stopfees First thing interesting that’s happened here since they opened Eddie Rockets (daveryaniv)
- Occupying local FG TD Anthony Lawlor’s office. Keep your election promises, Deputy (Keith ‘K-Bro’ Broni)
- The joke’s on the occupiers when you think about it, they’re gonna miss the toy show (@daveryaniv)
- My students union is occupying a politicians office in order to
#stopfees , LEGENDS. #wuhey #MSU (@SPCLeigh)
- Solidarity to the #msuoccupation ! #stopfees #savethegrant #OccupyNaas (@sleepflower_)
- We even have a microwave in here #occupynaas #stopfees #msuoccupation (@RuadrhiBoland)
The Journal have written about the occupation here
- Latest news from inside is that Broni can get RTE Player on his phone, so they’ll be able to watch the Toy Show. EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK.
Dave will also be tweeting throughout from @daveryaniv
- Naas: A nice place to shop/Occupy a constituency office. (petey1759)
- Mam and Dad concerned but supportive. I think they were just looking forward to giving me a proper dinner this weekend.(@KeithBroni)
- For the tweeters among us, it appears everyone is using the hashtags #stopfees and #occupynaas
#occupynaas starts trending, it’ll be like the best thing ever. (@daveryaniv) @daveryanIV Naas trending for a reason other than a racist mayor is a great thing. (@petey1759)
- Concerned citizen ‘I hope they left the heating in for ye all!!
- Everything ok here at the moment, a few naps have been had and a few people studying! (@naoiseoc)
@KeithBroni Looking like they are going to attempt to expel you form the premises? (@thobiasinkblot) @thobiasinkblot We have an automated shutter, so it’ll be a task in any rate. (@KeithBroni) MSU Exec
- Anthony Lawlor outside with Gardaí.
- Rob Munnelly currently double jobing and acting as secretary for Lawlor’s office.
- Phone call for Lawlor in the office. Rob taking a message. Likely a wind-up, however. “Address: Central Park.”
- Scratch that; it’s apparently legit (we checked a phone book). Contacted Lawlor with their details; he was appreciative. #StopFees (@KeithBroni)
- Just heard a passer by laugh at Deputy Lawlor “you deserve it ya liar”, public on our side
- @Thobiasinkblot #StopFees Anthony Lawlor standing patiently outside constituency office with two Garda. Which side will give first? (@wblumlein)
- #stopfees @wblumlein NOT US!!! (@naoiseoc)
- @naoiseoc @wblumlein Damn straight not us. #StopFees (@KeithBroni)
Photo from @KeithBroni
- Apparently the lads are all set to watch Love Actually. Hugh Grant reportedly delighted he can keep their spirits high #stopfees (@thobiasinkblot)
- To the other student unions,why not turn
#occupynaas into #occupyeverywhere.The student ‘movement’ must be more than a one day a year march (@donalfallon)
Entertainment for the night
Pillows and blankets have just been delivered for the night according to @petey1759. All of them seem to be getting ready for the Toy Show and then some Hugh Grant time.
Just off the phone with Dave Ryan and he has stated that when the second squad car turned up earlier the Gardaí spoke with TD Lawlor. He was not sure what was said, but Lawlor ‘did not look too pleased’ and then the Gardaí and Lawlor left shortly afterward. Spirits are high inside and they are all reportedly enjoying the Late Late Toy Show.
Shane is currently attempting to contact the Fine Gael press office for a statement.
Statement of Support from FEE Maynooth
Currently, officers and members of Maynooth Students’ Union are engaged in a peaceful occupation of the constituency office of Fine Gael TD Anthony Lawlor in Naas, Co. Kildare. The Free Education for Everyone (FEE) branch of NUI Maynooth would like to extend their support for this action. This is a direct message to the senior partner in government that students are not willing to see their education threatened due to the failed policies of this and previous governments. FEE has always maintained that direct action is an essential element of building and continuing a campaign to have any chance of achieving victory in the fight against fees.
This action comes at the end of a week that has seen the USI partake in an occupation on Tuesday. The FEE Galway branch also occupied a Fine Gael TD’s constituency office on Wednesday. FEE Maynooth believes that in order to beat fees, huge numbers of students at a grassroots level have to be engaged with organising and protesting in similar actions. This last week has shown that there is a hunger among students to go beyond lobbying and marching as a means of protest, these have been proven to be unsuccessful in the fight against fees.
FEE Maynooth wish to extend their support to MSU and hope that they have the opportunity to work together in future as the campaign continues. Let this be the beginning.
Kildare TV now down at the office for a quick Q&A with the MSU Occupiers
Just been confirmed by @oisinDnolan that Gary Redmond will not be out until tomorrow morning. The Student Observer has e-mailed USI for a statement, but has received none so far.
Sleeping bags now being rolled out by the occupiers. Not sure who is sleeping beside who, that has yet to be confirmed.
- #occupynaas @thobiasinkblot nigs beside Broni (@naoiseoc)
Just heard a passer by laugh at Deputy Lawlor “you deserve it ya liar”, public on our side #stopfees (@naosieoc)
@KeithBroni Looking like they are going to attempt to expel you form the premises?
Gardaí arrived with one squad car and spoke to Rob Munnelly who informed them that they were not in a position to vacate the premises. At this point a second squad car turned and spoke to TD Anthony Lawlor, who then looked none too pleased according to Dave Ryan reporter on the ground. Lawlor then left with the Garda contingent.
USI shows solidarity with MSU Occupy movement.
Good night from the Observer team and the Occupying MSU team.
Until Tomorrow … Well it is tomorrow and Mr. Boland is being kept awake by snorers.
Day two blog here